Monday, January 28, 2013

Murphy Mondays: Paying for Flowers - What Boys Should Know

So, by now it’s been well-established that I’m a shop dog. But don’t forget, I’m a BOY shop dog. Which means that not only can I relate to my canine peers, but I can also relate to the male humans in my life - and that includes the grooms that sometimes come into the shop. We do get our share of men-people who come to Bouquets of Austin. Sometimes they are really happy to be here. Sometimes they just want to hang out with me (and really who can blame them?) so I consider a part of my executive duties to be keeping them entertained. Not that I don’t like the ladies - because I do. I really, really do. But sometimes a guy needs a wing dog and that’s me.

When I hang out with grooms, it also gives me the opportunity to explain some things about how wedding flowers work. You see, sometimes brides and grooms come here and they know that they are paying for their flowers together, which is totally cool. And sometimes, one of their family members wants to pay for all the flowers. That’s cool too. And super generous. And sometimes, the bride and groom’s families want to split the cost of the flowers the way that it’s traditionally done. Tradition is a tricky thing because sometimes things change along the way; but when it comes to wedding flowers there are some pretty standard ways that brides and grooms split the cost. Most of the time, brides seem to know the deal (girls really know their wedding stuff, huh??) but the boys don’t seem to know a lot of the time. This is where my executive lab status really comes into play; this is how I earn all my treats (although I still insist that I am seriously underpaid in this regard). I can share with the guys how this traditional flower payment works. Here it goes:

Traditionally, the groom pays for the bride’s bouquet, all the ladies’ corsages, and all the boutonnieres except his own.

The bride pays for her bridesmaids’ bouquets, flower girl pieces, the groom’s boutonniere and all the ceremony and reception flowers. Not fair? Probably not. But this is how it’s done traditionally. But it’s okay to do whatever is best for you. That’s why some couples decide to split it more equally. My people are really good at helping couples figure it all out so don't be afraid to ask lots of questions!

That’s my tidbit of information for the day. Feel free to send me any questions you have and I’ll try to answer them the best I can. But do me a favor and put in a good word for me for more treats. Seriously. More. Treats. It’s the least you can do. Have a great week!






Murphy


No comments:

Post a Comment