Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Meet our staff

Just thought I'd give a little background of our great staff- The owners (me and my husband Paul), our design staff (Shannon and Becky), our front office (Ashley) and a lot of family and friends who help us out on  delivery days.  Because of my mom, our family has been in the floral industry for at least the past 28 years, I started designing back in high school along with doing any other task that needed to be done! My sisters in law, nieces and nephews all put in some time there and now help us when their schedules allow.  My mom tried to retire, florists do not retire-they are always in the shop! I met my husband Paul while I was working in Southern California, his background is in a different family business- restaurants, after owning our own Lamppost Pizza for 10 years he joined (rescued) us about 2 years ago.  You will usually see him on setups that require alot of lifting, late night pickups and generally keeping our office in order.
I'll introduce the rest of the family along the way.
 Along with myself, Shannon and Becky are the awesome design staff.  Shannon has been with us about 4 years.  Bouquets was the florist for her wedding 10 years ago, after attending the Portland Floral Design Institute about 5 years ago, she contacted me about a design position.  It was pure fate,as I was pondering the idea of adding a designer and someone who could help with the office work-she was the perfect fit and we are happy to have her with us.  Her designs are absolutely beautiful-not to mention she and her husband  have 4 adorable kids (future florists? perhaps!) 
Becky has been part of our staff for almost 11 years, a fulltime designer the last year and a half. I met Becky in one our local floral wholesalers, where she was my salesperson-one of the most important relationships a florist can have!  We became fast friends and soon she was helping me out on the weekends.  She has continued to help us as her kids graduated from high school, she got married (yes, we designed the flowers!) and we convinced her to join us fulltime. She brings not only her design skills but her vast knowledge of flowers and availability-afterall she has spent about 20+ years in the wholesale world. 
Ashley handles our  emails/telephones and administrative duties- every day is a different day for her.  She just joined our staff about 3 months ago and already is a valuable piece of our puzzle.  This really allows us, the design staff to focus on designing and not getting bogged down at the computer--trust me, our floral design skills awesome, computer skills not so awesome!  
Of course my mom, the one who introduced the crazy industry to me!  She visits a few times a month and helps with the handwork and various other tasks- she's been doing this longer than any of us- you will also see her in the delivery van- going on setups is always something she enjoys.
This is our core group- really we're all just like family and I love it that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment